ACOUSTIC TRIANGLE 2005 TOUR
St. Mary's, PETWORTH
This current building dates from the 14th century, although it has
undergone extensive restoration over the years.
The parish church of St Mary has a long history, the first recorded
Rector was Thomas de Falconberg instituted in 1238, although Petworth is
mentioned in the Domesday Book.
Most of the present building dates from the 13th or 14th century, but is
was so altered by the restorations of 1827 and 1903 that almost none of
the original structure is now visible, except for the arches on the
north side and the lower part of the tower.
The steeple at St. Mary's has an unfortunate history, having been
rebuilt several times before finally being demolished in 1947. There is
now a small pyramid-shaped roof capping the tower.
Special thanks to Michael Follis.
Return to Tour page